Thursday, March 3, 2016

Finding Vegetarian in Rural Areas

Eating out since deciding to go vegetarian has been a challenge.  More so because I am also wanting to choose food for its nutritional value which rules out things like french fries.  I live in a vegetarian desert as far as eating out is concerned.

I had two appointments today that were 2 1/2 hours apart.  One was before noon and one was after.  This meant I could eat out for lunch.  Sounds exciting and it would be if I were in the city, but I am not.

I ran over the local restaurants in my head.  Fast food came down to Wendy's for a baked potato and a salad.  My last baked potato there was undercooked so going there was not appealing.  Usually I enjoy Wendy's, but I wanted something else.

We have a great Mediterranean place where I used to eat gyros.  Since gyros were no longer an option, the only other thing I could think of was falafel.  A calorie check last time I ate them revealed that they are not on the healthy list since they are fried and have a lot of calories.  Thank goodness we were blessed with a Panera Bread restaurant about two years ago.

Even then my choices were slim.  Thank goodness the ones they had turned out to be wonderful.  I had a half Mediterranean veggie sandwich and a half quinoa salad.  Both were outstanding.  I thought that I had eaten that type sandwich one other time, but I don't remember it being as good.

I do have one recommendation.  I asked for a spoon to eat my salad.  That enables me to get all the little pieces of quinoa and almonds and works for the greens also as they are finely cut. My mouth is watering just thinking about it, and I would certainly have the same meal again in the future.

No comments: