Sunday, November 5, 2017

Getting Back on Track Using the Rice Diet

Sometimes my train just jumps the track.  It may be my household train, my finance train, or in this case my healthy eating train.  My train derailed in late July and I haven't got it completely on the track since.  In previous posts, I wrote about high school sports and the challenges that brought.  I've tried to get back on track after that but have not been completely successful....yet.

When I first began a WFPB diet with no meat, eggs, or dairy, I began on April 1, 2017 after a little over a year being vegetarian again.  My catalyst was a high blood pressure reading at my annual physical.  I researched and chose the Rice Diet, as practice by Dr. Kempner, due to the success it had shown with reducing blood pressure.  It was very successful with that and my blood pressure was normalized within two weeks.

I did not follow it to 100% perfection but I had great success with it for BP and for weight loss. I was pretty strict with it for two weeks and then transitioned to The Starch Solution.  I was able to lose about 12 pounds from April 1- May 30th.  Another 3 came off during the month of June.  Then vacations stalled the weight loss part as my diet varied even more.  Evening travel and time away from cooking, including junk food, brought back a few pounds, eight to be exact during eight weeks of  high school tennis season.  Water accounts for a chunk of that as I have not watched my salt intake as closely either. So now it's time for a big kick in the butt.

I love The Starch Solution, by Dr. McDougall, and that is sort of how I've been eating since mid-April.  Certainly rice was a part of that but it wasn't as restrictive as the Rice Diet.  Of course after July I added way too many processed foods/snacks which did not help me get back on track.  I realize that this is real life and this scenario is likely to happen again.  There will probably be times in the future where I dip too often into processed foods and veer away from a WFPB diet.

Therefore, November 6, 2017, tomorrow, I will go back to the strict Rice Diet again.  Simple starch and some fruit, no salt, and lots of water.  I was satisfied eating that way and I feel it really cleansed my palate and jump started my body to detox and helped me focused on making healthy food choices.  That is what I want again and why I am choosing something that had only positive outcomes for me. 

 I made a no-fat, vegan supper with lentil loaf, mashed potatoes, and peas.  Lots of fiber, lots of starch, and plenty of vitamins.  It was very good and the lentil loaf was a recipe from High-Carb Hannah.  Leftovers for the family are pictured below.  None for me, tomorrow, of course. Thought I would try out a recipe for Thanksgiving dinner.  I have a couple more to try before my final decision.


If anyone else is following, or would like to follow The Rice Diet, comment below.  Maybe we can buddy-up on this journey and help each other along.  I am thinking about doing a combination with Intermittent Fasting (IF), as I think there are big advantages to that also. 



No comments: