Monday, October 1, 2018

Five Things Everyday for My Fall Declutter


Spring Cleaning has never been my thing.  When those warm winds start blowing after a cold winter, the last thing I want to do is stay in and clean.  I want to be outside, soaking up the sun as I dig in the dirt and plan my gardens.
Fall cleaning makes more sense to me.  I'm getting ready to be stuck inside after closing the windows up for the winter.  I have to live with my dirt and clutter all winter.  That is motivation for doing a fall clean and declutter.  
I am ready to continue with decluttering.  It has actually been an ongoing mission for the last two and a half years although not consistent due to real life things such as special events, vacations, activities, illness; yeah real life.    I have gotten rid of bags of stuff including clothes, books, small appliances, dishes, odds and ends, etc.   I can tell a difference in most areas but to others, the change may not be as obvious.  We still have way too much stuff. Things are still far from my optimum goal of  quite minimal spaces with the exception of my craft supplies.  
To make a more structured and focused effort this month, I have decided on the number five.  There is no particular reason as I could have easily picked 3 or 7 or even 10, however, it's my number and I pick five.  I will git rid of a minimum of five things each day.  That will be one hundred and fifty-five things for the month of October.  I actually started the last three days of September but October is my focus month.  
There are also things I recycle or throw away but I don't always count those. My five things for today were found on a side table in the den.  Why were they there?  Leftover random things from years gone by.  I actually use to use the school house box which is made out of plastic canvas.  I kept my Post-It notes in it when I taught school.  There is a panda puzzle which I'm not sure has ever been used, a new beach ball, a stack of very large play money, and a package of waxed rope, in today's group.  

It is interesting how things accumulate and we just don't notice them anymore.  These things have been sitting there since 2015 and maybe longer. So many things we own but don't use or need.  I was listening to Minimal Mom on YouTube today and she talked about how we have to manage the inventory in our houses.  I had never thought of stuff in that regard but the statement is utter truth.  Managing inventory may sound like something you want on your resume', but it denotes something that requires attention and therefore energy.  
I'm at a point in my life that I don't have extra energy to manage inventory.  The answer of course is to have less inventory.  
What's also interesting is how our view of our things change.  I went through cookbooks recently and it was so easy to part with so many of them.  I donated two brown grocery sacks full.  I have went through those same books in the past and obviously those were put in the keep stack last time but easily landed in the donate pile this round.  The books haven't changed, so obviously I have.  
I'm sure I have looked over the above five items at some point in the recent past also and for some reason decided they were keepers.  Today, they didn't require even a second thought as to their future in this house.  
I don't foresee posting every day about this topic but I will take pictures of each day's items and post them at some point.  That's for accountability on my part.  If I miss a day I will double up on items the next.  There are no big plans for October but in real life, you never know what may come up.  

No comments: