Friday, April 7, 2017

Absolutely Loving Whole Foods Plant Based Results

Normally I'm not one to get too excited about diets.  Any of them work, at least for a while, if you follow them.  The problem is that I don't often like a plan well enough to follow it for more than a few days.  I did follow the Atkins diet for about 6 weeks back in 1998 and lost about twenty pounds, but I was nauseated most of the time. Also note that I had to have my gall bladder removed about 5 years later. In all honesty though, I'm very excited about following the Whole Foods Plant Based (WFPB) way of life.

As I've said in a previous post about a year ago, I decided to go back to being a vegetarian again after 17 years of having meat frequently in my diet.  I have had good results over the past year eating vegetarian.  I have less muscle pain from fibromyalgia, less frequent migraines, sleep a bit better although this area has been a struggle my whole life, and less digestive problems.  Fatigue, however, remained a significant problem.  After just a few hours being awake, I seriously could go back to sleep if given the chance.

On days when I was able to take a nap, it meant a 2-3 hour nap.  If I had less time then that, I wouldn't bother.  It was almost like being in a coma-like state.  I would become aware of things around me but could not bring myself to full consciousness.  I would feel better when I woke up but would be tired again a few hours later.  This seriously affected the quality of my life as I am most happy when doing something and accomplishing things I want/need to do.

I started eating WFPB on Sunday, April 2nd.  Since Monday, I have not needed a nap.  Yesterday evening, I walked about four miles on the golf course and my muscles were achy when I went to bed and I figured I would need a long nap today for muscle recovery.  It was a busy day and at about 5 p.m. I was able to finally think about a nap.  To my surprise, after less than an hour, I felt rested and ready to get up.  Wow!

In addition, I have quite a bit more energy than usual which is probably still less than "normal" people, but definitely a difference for me.  After five whole days of eating WFPB, I have lost a total of 8.4 pounds, four of which was definitely water weight.  I know this because on start day, April 2, I weighed four pounds more than 2 days previous and had eaten out both of the following days. Restaurant food is salt-ladened and I usually put on a few pounds after dining out.   Keep in mind that I only eat out 1-2 times per week and usually on Friday and/or Saturday.

My weigh-in showed a 5.5 pound weight loss since January 8th, and four of those pounds have been since March 8th which I can guarantee you came from this week as my scale is the same as theirs and I know I did not lose any before Sunday.

In addition to more energy, weight loss, and less nap time needed, I feel lighter, less full and overall so much better.  I'm so psyched as I think if 5 days makes me feel this good, what will a month, year, or lifetime do?  Psychologically, I feel so much better also because  how I am eating is a reflection of what I believe about food, medicine, illness, the environment, and stewardship over all God has given us.  Oh,yeah, my last blood pressure readings at the doctor's the last few days 131/84, and 119/74.  I have a follow-up appointment with my doctor for blood pressure in a week and a half and I can't wait as I know I'll have great pressures and even though I wouldn't take medicines anyway, we won't have to have that conversation.

No comments: