Saturday, April 29, 2017

Nostalgic Recipe Purge After WFPB Transition

I have spent time over the last month going through the desk and kitchen and gathering a huge pile, about 8 inches tall, of recipes from magazines, printed from online resources, and from friends.  This stormy Saturday seemed like the perfect opportunity to purge the pile of those recipes that didn't support my new WFPB way of eating. I figured I could breeze through the whole pile in about 20-30 minutes.  I was wrong.

I didn't expect nostalgia to hit.  Oh, remember this Chicken Enchilada Casserole I made for several potlucks at school? Everyone loved it.  What about this stuffed cabbage recipe that reminds me so much of the ones my mom made during my youth?  There's that carrot cake recipe I wanted to try.

I have always cooked but didn't realize how much my recipes meant to me.  So over one and a half hours later, I am through the stack and more than half did end up in the recycle pile.  I did keep many stir-fry recipes that called for meat just because I wanted the sauce part of the recipes.  Stir-fries are one of my favorite things to make and eat and I like variety in my sauces.  After I try them and write the sauce part down, I will recycle them.

I kept a couple dessert recipes that can be adapted without eggs and oil.  I found some good recipes from Vegetarian Times.  Sadly they no longer have a printed magazine.  Online is a good resource but there is something about a magazine, a cup of tea, and birds chirping in the garden.

All of the ones I kept are now in a file folder waiting to be tried, then transferred into my recipe boxes.  The boxes themselves have not been purged.  That is for another time.

I also gathered up several diet books that I know I will no longer use.  I can't picture myself ever using/needing them again.


I still have many cookbooks to go through.  That will be hard also as I love books of any kind. It is a necessary process, however, in order to really make a permanent change.  It is sort of like donating the clothing that becomes too big as you lose weight.  Ahhh, that will be another thing I will have to purge and hopefully soon.

No comments: