Monday, July 17, 2017

Thankful Vacations are Over

Vacations throw me off in every way.  My few but simple routines matter to me and yet they are so hard to keep on vacation.  I had two ten day vacations, two weeks apart.  My brain is just starting to get back in the groove.

I held steady on my weight with a total of fifteen pounds gone since April.  I ate way too much processed snacks and just don't feel as good as I did before.  Today was really my first day getting back in the groove and I feel better already. I did take/buy veggies and grains with us and did cook on vacation and use them, however, I also ate some snacky foods and sweets that I didn't really need.  I was actually surprised that I did not have a big gain.

I cleaned out my fridge before I left so now I need to go shopping tomorrow and stock up.  I literally have no fresh fruit in the house which is very unusual.  Aldi's, here I come.  I was able to harvest some cucumbers out of the garden so that has given me something fresh for today.  A few tomatoes are almost ripe but need another day or two.

I'm still loving this lifestyle.  I need to get into WFPB cooking a bit more but cooking and summer don't really go together.  I did make some polenta today at the request of my daughter.  I made a version of a 'ragout' to eat over it.  It was enjoyed by all.

It is time for me to start spending a bit more time in the house getting some projects done and organizing some areas I have been ignoring.  Not as much fun as gardening, in my opinion, but it has to get done.  I did unpack my suitcase, groceries that came back, and caught up with the watering today.

 The gardens looked good and am grateful to my son for taking care of them while I was gone.  Nice to come home to everything green in this 95+ degree weather.  Disappointed to find that raccoons ate three of my fish... for a total of 6 this summer.  I have three left and not sure if I will get anymore until I find a solution for the coons. Anyone have a suggestion?

I ordered an Instant Pot today.  I had seen a different brand of electric pressure cooker at Nebraska Furniture Mart over the weekend but talked myself out of putting out $90 for an unfamiliar brand as the reviews are best for the actual Instant Pot brand.  Well, today I happened to find a $10 off coupon for Kohl's home goods in an email so I looked on their website.  They had the IP-DUO60 7 way pot for $99. I combined the $10 off with my 30% off coupon and ended up at $68.09 with tax.  It is waiting to be picked up at a nearby Kohl's store.  Patience paid off and God provided.  



No comments: