Tuesday, February 23, 2016

DIY Kombucha

I poured my first glass of my homemade Kombucha today.  There is something about DIY anything.  That sense of pride, independence, and sustainability is something that drives those who enjoy doing things for themselves.
I thought that brewing kombucha might provide some probiotics, b12, and help with colon health.  Turns out there is little b12 in kombucha but the other two seem to hold up in a study of kombucha, kombucha analysis.  I like the taste of it but this is not true for everyone.  Of course, I have been drinking apple cider vinegar, honey, and water as a morning drink for several months now so I probably have acclimated to it.
My daughter has seen the scoby and has vowed never to taste kombucha.  I hope to change her mind eventually. She says we shouldn't eat things we have to feed.  Guess I should have used a different term when I added a new batch of oolong tea to feed the scoby.
I grew a scoby from store-bought raw kumbucha.  I got the instructions from this site.  After a couple weeks to grow a good scoby, it has taken just a week to brew a half-gallon of kombucha.  Now I have two scobies.  Not sure what to do with the second. I'm thinking about having two batches going at once so I can drink out of one kept in the fridge and actively brew the other at room temp.  After that, I guess I will need to find people who want scobies or I guess I could compost them.  Until then, cheers.

No comments: